Silky road of Konavle
Explore custom manufacturing in Dubrovnik countryside
- This excursion starts with a transfer to village Čilipi situated in central part of Konavle area, visiting Konavle Local history museum.
- The Konavle Local History House was set up in Čilipi in 1974 with the generous championship, energy and enthusiasm of leading educational and tourist industry people in Čilipi and the understanding and good will of the population of Konavle. The house was founded and maintained with the resources of the then tourist and cultural and education association as well as with a grant from the Culture Fund of the then commune of Dubrovnik. In the building of the one-time village savings association, collected ethnological holdings of Konavle were exhibited – male and female folk costume, woven fabrics and embroideries, use objects and furnishing that as exhibits represented the interior space of the typical Konavle house.
After visiting local museum, we are leaving to village Gruda to explore other very important heritage of Konavle; Silk manufacturing.
Konavle has for centuries been renowned for the production of silk yarn, where it was used for the decoration of male and notably female national costumes. The production occurred in the rooms of the women every spring. Every woman of Konavle had to rear enough silkworms to produce her own yarn for her individual embroidery. They produce our own silk yarn from the early spring to late fall until we have enough leaves on our trees to feed our silkworms.
Possible lunch in local restaurants, where they served traditional food and drinks.
- Visit Konavle Local history museum in Čilipi
- Silk manufacturing in Gruda village
- Option lunch in Konavle countryside
- Whole day trip
Area: Konavle countryside
Duration; 4 h (with transfers), plus lunch (1,5 h more) Season: All year around
Fully guided: yes Transportation to start site: yes
The trip includes: round transfers, museum tickets, guided tour, liquer tasting & snacks at local silk manufacturing.
2 pax EUR 200,00 (per group)
3-8 pax EUR 90.00 per person
9 + pax EUR 80,00 per person
Possible add to trip itinerary lunch in local restaurants with traditional specialities.